Radiology Department of Punjab institute of Cardiology was established in January, 1990. It was designed to cater the radiological needs of cardiac patients. Department became functional with few x-rays machines and a consultant radiologist. Later on, latest equipment kept adding in the array of its radiological tools. In 2008 it became the first radiology department in the country to have the prestigious ISO 9001 – 2000 certification, which The department is successfully holding till to date.
Formal teaching of the subject of radiology to FCPS and Diploma in Cardiology students was started when Prof. Dr. M. Shahnawaz joined as head of the department.
Presently, the department has a state of the art 64-slice Computerized Tomography Scanner, a 800mA X-ray unit with fluoroscopy, five 300mA mobile x-ray machines, a digital ultrasound machine, an automatic film processor and a digital radiography system. Mobile x-ray units were added to improve the bedside and emergency coverage.
Ever since its establishment, the work load of the department has been on a steady increase, at present almost 50,000 radiological examinations, 2500 ultrasound studies & 1000 specialized radiological procedures are performed per annum.
The department is providing following services to Indoor and OPD patients:
General Radiological Services are provided 24 hours, round the clock, 07days a week, throughout the year. Specialized Procedures & Ultrasonography is carried out on appointment, during morning hours from 9:00am - 3:00pm daily, except Sundays & scheduled holidays.